- what were you doing 10 years ago? the year was 1998, and i was in 8th grade. i managed to miss an impressive 51 days of school due to being sick, faking being sick, breaking my index finger (in a tragic basketball accident in gym class), slicing my thumb to the bone (7 weeks before the finger breaking; this was caused by my gym locker, which opened up instead of to the side. the door dropped on my hand, which was holding it open, while i was trying to stuff my backpack in the locker just before gym class began), having the honour of reading a bajillion of names in french at the state capitol for that year's holocaust rememberance day (the names were those belonging to french jews who were killed), and going on a school trip with 14 other kids from my school to big bend national park (5 of the best days of my life). anyway, yes, i missed a lot of school. luckily, i was mostly an 'a' student, although that year i did manage to get my first 'c'.
- things that i would do if i were a billionaire: pay off all my student loans, finish paying off my car, pay off my credit card, buy a really nice house in north austin with a big swimming pool, pay to fix my parents' house, put brandon through art school and buy him lots of cool stuff, travel to japan, donate a bunch to the international campaign for tibet.
- places i've lived: just outside cleveland, ohio (parma) for 3 1/2 years. round rock, texas for 4 1/2 years. cedar park, texas for 14 years. cottonwood shores, texas for 2 years so far.
- random musing #1: i have always wanted to be a singer. i really REALLY like to sing. i don't know if i'm any good, but i know i love it :p.
- random musing #2: i'm afraid of kiwi. the fruit, not the cute little australian/new zealand bird. come on, it's green and looks like an eyeball when you slice it open! no one else sees it? oh well :(. but seriously, i am also afraid of its hairy outside (but i'm not afraid of other hairy fruits). my cousin justin (who introduced me to brandon, and who used to live with me) used to chase me around the grocery store with a kiwi until i screamed. i'm not sure what it is about kiwi, i just know i don't like it one bit, and that's that!
- random musing #3: if i could sit down and have a long talk with anyone in the world, i would choose my great grandma baldwin, my mom's mom's mom. she was a really fun and unique woman. she died i guess about 10 years ago, and i still think about her all the time. my great grandma used to swear up and down that our family had japanese in us (probably not true, but i wish!), and she collected all kinds of japanese things, most of which went to me when she died. it's because of her that i fell in love with all things japanese, and due to this, i probably wouldn't be running my shop of washi paper jewelry and accessories if i had never known her. i was only a young teenager when she died, so i never got to discuss these things with her. great grandma baldwin wasn't just cool because of her japanese flair: she could tell a great ghost story! one in particular, which she swore was true, involves her grandmother and mother being terrorized by the ghosts of native americans in the woods of ohio (which she called 'the denmark woods'). i don't know if the story was actually true, but i still remember it, and it still gives me goosebumps. i'll always miss my great grandma and wonder what things would have been like had i not moved to texas with my mom when i was 3 1/2.
now it's your turn to share! if you want to do this survey, post your answers on your blog, and i'll read 'em :).